The federal government has approved up to $5 million in emergency assistance for Indiana following last week’s historic storm damage and flooding – but that doesn’t cover funding for individuals, only local and state response efforts.
In order to get Federal Emergency Management Agency assistance for uninsured or underinsured Hoosiers, the state has to seek a major disaster declaration, which Gov. Mike Braun says officials are doing.
But Braun warned that assistance is “not offered very often.”
Related
Most Indiana homeowners don’t have flood insurance. Here’s what to know
After historic flooding, many residents don’t have insurance to cover the costs of repairs.
FEMA officials are working with state leaders this week to assess damages from last week’s storms, Braun said Monday.
In the next two days, the state will use those assessments to apply for the major disaster declaration, which could open up long-term federal funding programs for direct individual assistance and public assistance for repairing infrastructure. Braun said the state should know more within 7-10 days.
Individual assistance would provide money for temporary housing, food, home repairs, replacing essential personal property, vehicle repairs, medical bills, moving costs and infant care.
Individuals are encouraged not to attempt to apply for FEMA assistance now, because doing so may delay help if/when the declaration is approved.
Braun asked Hoosiers to report damage by calling 211 or visiting the 211 website.
If FEMA doesn’t determine Indiana qualifies for a major disaster declaration, the state will dip into its $4 billion in reserve funding to provide relief to Hoosiers, Braun said.
“We’re not sure about the exact mechanics there, but … the key thing is we’ve got resources,” he said. “Right now, funding and resources are not an issue.”
But Alissa Gerber said she’s not banking on getting FEMA aid. The Connersville salon owner last week lost her home to flooding. She said she’s relying on donations and community support to get through.
If individual assistance is approved, Gerber said she’ll apply, but won’t hold out much hope for getting approval.
“It would be nice,” she said. “We’re gonna at least apply for it. It doesn’t hurt to at least try.”
Indiana last year received a major disaster declaration stemming from tornado and flood damage from March 30 through April 9, but FEMA did not provide individual assistance to residents.
Funding was restricted solely to the Public Assistance Program for local governments and eligible nonprofits.
FPI News, a nonprofit newsroom, is funded through grants and donations from individuals, foundations and organizations. Sign up for our free newsletter.
FPI News reporter Carson Gerber covers healthcare, manufacturing, agriculture, immigration … and just about any other topic that’s shaping how we live in Indiana today. Reach him at 765-204-4250 or carson.gerber@fpinews.org.


